Saturday, July 5, 2014

From the Farmer's Perspective



 
As I drove out early this morning to go to the local farmer’s market, I was thinking about how much I love this land and this area.  How much I love raising our own food, and how beautiful the landscape is.

Once at the farmer’s market I had great conversation and idea sharing with the many vendors – who are really just my neighbors - each with their own patch of land around Farmington.  One sweet lady offered all the free oregano plants I wanted if I’ll stop by her place – which it turns out is only a few miles from us.  You see, these folks aren’t in this to get rich; they are doing what they love and what they know.  They want to provide real food, grown on family farms, prepared in their own kitchens.  At the market you’ll likely see signs that say “We aren’t certified USDA organic, but we use all organic practices.”  OR “Our food isn’t inspected by the USDA, it is prepared with care in our own kitchen.”

It’s so wonderful to see that I’m purchasing herbs, vegetables, lotions and other goods that were prepared by someone’s hands in their own kitchen.  Rather than made in a huge facility, unknown to me, made by people I don’t know, and then shipped hundreds or thousands of miles in a semi-truck and sold to me by a big-box store.  It is only because of this lack of accountability that we feel we need that “USDA approved organic” sticker on the package of food we buy.  Rather, I just take the word of “Linda” who dried my herbs and put them in a baggie for me, or “Randy” who sold me a jar of honey that he produced with his own bees and poured into a jar just for me.

At one point during my shopping spree at the farmer’s market, an older woman stopped to look at the potatoes being sold in baskets.  She asked about the weight of each basket and the farmer said he hadn’t weighed them.  But rather it was just $2.00 per basket-full.  She said, “Well, that’s a rip off!”

I stood in awe of her boldness to say such a thing and then walk off.  But then I felt sad... sad for her and sad for local farmers.  As I looked at the smiling farmer behind the table full of potatoes and other produce, I could see the many hours he put into bringing this food to the little, modest market.  And the effort he put in to avoiding pesticides, insecticides and other dangerous chemicals.  I could just imagine how many potatoes he might have lost this year to bugs or other intruders that prey on plants when they are grown naturally.  I could see the dirt under his nails and the sun-kissed skin that showed the amount of time he must spend outdoors on his garden.  I know first-hand what it takes to grow a good potato!  But this woman who made the comment really felt she wasn’t getting a good deal.  My guess is that she’s accustomed to purchasing potatoes and other produce from large discount stores.  Grocery store produce is subjected to who-knows-how-many chemicals.  (And as a side-note, potatoes are on the top ten list of the most heavily sprayed produce!) 
I’m sure she’s also used to seeing all her potatoes look the same size and be perfectly uniform in color.  Yes, this is what heavy chemicals can do to produce, make it all look the same.  She probably doesn’t realize that the “cheap” potatoes she bought at the discount grocery are likely more chemical than they are food.  She also doesn’t see the value in supporting these small family farmers who are our last link to real food that isn’t genetically engineered in some facility far away.  These farmers are also our last link to seeds that aren’t patented by the likes of Monsanto and other companies.  (And yes, it’s getting harder and harder to seed-swap with other farmers due to these patents!)

The reality is, these farmers are our last link to REAL food grown by people who care about the food, the land and their community.

I bought three baskets of that farmer’s potatoes and said, “These look great.  I know what it takes to grow a good potato!”  And he smiled a small, modest smile and said, “Yes, ma’am, it’s hard work.”

I’ll take that hard work any day for as long as I’m able.  Buying from a farmer whose farm I can visit myself, and having a relationship with that farmer is a wonderful experience.  It is far more rewarding and comforting than buying my lettuce at the big grocery store.  (Yes, there might be a little caterpillar on my lettuce - but that's a GOOD sign.  If a caterpillar is on it, then that means it isn't sprayed with insecticide!)
It is wonderful to be able to put a face to the farmer who grew my food.  Just try calling one of the brand-names on your grocery-store bought foods and ask to tour their facility.  I don’t think you’ll be welcome.  But most farmers I speak to at the local market invite me regularly to see their farms.  They are proud of what they are doing and nothing is hidden from me, the consumer!
Our neighbors grow blueberries.  These taste nothing
like blueberries at the stores!  All that travel time to the store
takes out nutrition and taste.  These are truly God's candy!
Learning to eat seasonally isn't easy, but it's worth it.
We will freeze many of these and look forward to next
summer when we can pick them and eat them fresh again -
knowing we are loading up on antioxidants that don't
come from grocery-store blueberries.
Dear friends, farmer’s markets serve not only as a way for people to purchase locally grown produce, but also as a chance for them to connect with others in their communities.  Purchasing local goods is an experience that promotes a sense of place, important in making individuals feel tied to their communities.
These markets also have many environmental benefits such as reduced transportation costs and reduced vehicle emissions.  (That strawberry package you bought at Walmart probably travelled to the store from several states away – or perhaps from Mexico – on a semi-truck!)

  Farmer’s markets have the potential to shift the local economy of their community by encouraging consumers to change their diets and eat more seasonally.  This allows more money to circulate within the region and spill over to the other local businesses.  Farmer’s markets are also less likely to relocate than large grocery stores and they provide stability for local economies.

I pray the local farmer doesn’t fad away while folks head to big-box stores to get their weekly groceries.  Support your local farmers and find yourself happier, food-educated, and healthier too!

For more reasons and ideas for farmer’s market shopping, see this link:

Psalms 24:1

Earth, Belonging To GodGuardiansNatureResponsibility, Of Natural WorldThe earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment